Keep Your Plants!
While cutting out your plant program may seem like a solid – and easy – cost cutting move, consider the benefits to your employees and to the physical space, which impact the overall physical health and mental well-being of you and your employees/tenants – and consider how that impacts your bottom line in more sick days and lost productivity.
Interior plants provide a multitude of benefits that impact not only the physiological and psychological well-being of people but improve the bottom line of businesses. A multitude of scientific studies confirms having interior plants in the workplace help to cleanse the air and thereby reduce absenteeism and illness. Scientific studies have additionally proven the presence of plants in the workplace reduce stress and anxiety.
During this unprecedented time of extreme uncertainty, when stress and illness seem to prevail, retaining plants in your workspace can positively impact your workforce – reducing the cost of sick days, increasing productivity, cleansing the air, and reducing overall stress and anxiety.
- A European study found that access to green space reduced levels of stress and improved employee satisfaction by 14%.
- Various studies show that having a view of plants from a workstation decreases illness incidents and reduces the amount of self-reported sick leave.
- Several studies confirm plants lower blood pressure, improve reaction time, improve well-being, and raise job satisfaction.
- NASA’s Clean Air Study specifically highlights the ability of plants to clean toxins, such as benzene and formaldehyde, which are commonly found in closed building environments and negatively impact the health of workers, from the air.
A recent study, the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic: Built Environment Considerations to Reduce Transmission by researchers at the University of California-Davis and the University of Oregon, stated, “Virus particles like drier air, so maintaining a high relative humidity can help. Virus-bearing droplets get bigger in humid air, meaning they settle out more quickly and don’t travel as far. Humidity also seems to interfere with the lipid envelope around viruses such as SARS-CoV-2.”
- Plants increase interior humidity by pulling water up from their roots and transpiring most of it into the atmosphere around them through their stomata. This higher humidity increases human comfort, deceases respiratory and skin irritations and decreases demand on building HVAC systems, lowering the building’s energy costs and carbon footprint.
The actual cost of retaining plants in the workspace is small compared to the return. Calculations show that the return on investment (ROI) for one plant per 100 sq ft is over 300%:
The average wage earnings for a worker is $36,140 per year.
- They are absent 3.6% of the time, costing $1301 per year.
- With one plant per employee, studies prove absenteeism can be improved by 14%, which equals $182.14.
- The average cost of a plant program providing one plant to one employee is about $42 per year per employee ($3.50/month).
- The investment in a plant program will return $140.14 per employee ($182.14 – $42) or a 334% ROI on your $42 investment.
Interior Plantscape companies are considered essential services as part of the Green Industry. D&S Plants Unlimited continues to service your plants on a daily basis, and we will continue to work with you on specific access guidelines for your facilities and scheduling of service. Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions or concerns.
#StaySafe #StayStrong #StayPlanted
The D&S Plants Unlimited Team hopes this email finds you, your teams, and your families well and in good health.
Why Plants Matter in Your Office
In these times of uncertainty, it’s important to focus on maintaining good health and hygiene in our personal and professional domains so we can take care of ourselves, our families, and our teams.
While plants and greenery cannot cure viruses, they certainly provide health benefits positively impacting physical and emotional well-being and help create positive environments for workers.
- Offices experienced a 15% increase in productivity when plants were included in office space
- Employees with plant views have fewer headaches and completed concentration tests 19% faster than those without plants
- Workers in offices with poor light without natural views use more sick leave hours
- Plants at work are significant in employee perceptions of friendliness, comfort, and freshness of the workplace
- 97% of employees would like to have more plants in the workplace
Stay connected to nature during this time – get outside (while maintaining social distancing protocols), take a deep breath, pull in the fresh air, soak up the sun, and enjoy the plants and flowers of Spring.
Let our team of designers develop a plantscape to fit your space.
a healthy workspace and stimulate their senses Let us help you take all of the guess work out of creating and caring for your interior plantscaping needs.
• Increase appeal
and perceived value
of your property
• Decrease sick days
• Increase mood and productivity
Interior plants and greenery for commercial buildings
Plants offer a variety of benefits to office and workspace environments. From beautification and air purification to noise abatement and improved employee health and well-being, making your space greener can increase a property’s value making it a more appealing and healthier place to be. There are many challenges to owning or managing an office building or work space, caring for plants doesn’t need to be one of them. Here at D & S Plants Unlimited we take all of the worry and hassle of trying to do it all on your own away. We have plant rental and purchase solutions available to you that will provide you with living green plants to enhance your space.
Every office and work space is unique, like every family member, and here at D & S Plants Unlimited we recognize this. We can provide an interior plantscaping designer to find the right solutions that match your business needs. Whether you need five small plants, eight large trees or a variety of five hundred mixed plants we can help you from the very beginning all the way through to the maintenance and growth of your green space. From designing the space, letting you know which plants work best in which areas, to maintenance where our plant technicians regularly visit your office to water, weed, prune and care for the plants. We also offer rotational services to replace plants with blooming seasonal flowers based on the season as well as holiday decorations.
If you would like to discuss any of our services please contact our office today and one of our interior plantscaping designers will be more than happy to assist you.